Tenancy Deposit Scheme Utilise Digital Mailroom To Reduce Costs
The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is a government approved tenancy deposit protection scheme in England and Wales operated by The Dispute Service Ltd. TDS is a not for profit scheme with surpluses used to improve their already award winning service processing over 12,000 claims per year..
The services provided by TDS are used by tenants, landlords and agents. TDS protect over a million tenants deposits from being lost or unfairly withheld by landlords. Anyone renting from a private landlord should be protected by a scheme such as TDS. If at the end of a tenancy there is a dispute, TDS will appoint an impartial adjudicator to make a legally binding decision.
If a dispute is raised, documentary evidence is required to prove a case. Documents submitted included:
- Tenancy agreement – this sets out the obligations of both parties and is essential for any case.
- Check-in report and/or inventory – to show the property’s condition at the start of the tenancy
- Check-out report – to show the condition of the property at the end of the tenancy – photographs or videos used in conjunction with an inventory to support the condition of items in the property.
- Rent statement – to show what the tenant paid, for what periods of time and what is owed (if anything)
- Estimates – to show the approximate cost of carrying out work/replacing things. The more detail, the better.
- Quotes – show the quoted cost of carrying out work or replacing things.
- Invoices – show the cost paid/to be paid for carrying out work/replacing things
- Receipts – show the cost that the landlord or agent has paid out
This dispute process, along with the tenant and landlord signup process was proving to be hugely time consuming and costly for TDS.
After speaking to ORS Group and discussing their back office processes, TDS realised that a dedicated digital mailroom team could significantly improve processing times whilst reducing costs drastically. ORS were chosen by TDS to provide them with a fully outsourced mailroom function. ORS staff carry out over 46 workflow talks, these tasks include everything from document classification, ensuring claim forms are correctly completed and clauses within tenancy agreements are correct. Other services utilised by TDS included:
- Inbound mail (All TDS claims mail redirected via PO box to ORS)
- Outbound mail (ORS raised written responses to clients)
- Raising tasks for Claims Officers (ORS granted access to TDS claim system)
- Hosting an online service for clients to view documents
- Cheque banking service
TDS were able to re distribute 12 full time staff within the business as a result of outsourcing. This realised over 50% ROI within year one by utilising ORS’s state of the art business outsourcing facility based in Hampshire.