The Importance Of Preparation For Document Scanning Projects
Due to the nature of larger scanning projects, ORS assemble project teams to concentrate on these jobs. Staff are trained specifically to carry out this type of work. All staff will be fully trained on all document types and weeding requirements. These staff will be involved in the test stages and will be the only staff used for the duration of the project.
During preparation, the documents will be removed from the boxes and made ready for scanning and indexing, this is one of the most important parts of the process.
Using an HR file project as an example – Any live HR files will go through the following process:
- Scan the barcode on the employee file and a unique barcode for the operator to record the handling time and staff details
- Match the file to the pre-printed employee header, this will automatically capture the employee details when scanning and validate against the central employee database
- The file will be separated into the relevant document types agreed, during this stage documents can be removed or filing can be completed.
- Complete standard preparation removing all staples, moving post it notes so they no longer cover information and create a leading edge for scanning.
- Stamp poor quality originals on all poor quality documents
- Insert colour toggle pages before and after any colour documents, this will automatically switch the scanner setting to scan the required pages in colour.
- At the end of the process they will scan the end barcode to record the time taken for each file.
This team, if required can complete any number of tasks including file weeding, document filing and duplicate matching. They are kept separate from all other areas of the business as they have a unique skill set. All preparation is completed by ORS staff onsite; no work is outsourced to third parties or home workers.